- Regional Rural Business Centre, Market Way, North Petherton, Bridgwater, Somerset, United Kingdom
South West Larder: Togetherness, Nurture, Pride, Planet
Full Time: 39 hours per week (07:00 – 15:00)
Salary: £16.82 per hour
Location: North Petherton
Want to work for a company where Togetherness, Nurture, Pride and Planet are at the heart of everything they do? Then look no further, Somerset Larder produces fresh food and meals to go using locally sourced ingredients from all over the west country. Our philosophy is to nourish the community with amazing produce, to employ local people and to train apprentices for future careers in the catering and hospitality sector.
At Somerset Larder, our Values have been set by our staff. Our Values exist for the good of our working lives and company performance. Our Values are:
- Togetherness – “Be a tractor not a trailer.”
- Nurture – “You grow, I grow, we grow.”
- Pride – “We can and we will”
- Planet – “We’re part of a bigger picture”
Are you passionate about ensuring the highest standards of food safety and quality in a new food warehouse environment? We’re hiring motivated individuals to join our team at Somerset Larder.
Responsibilities will include:
– Oversight of operational practices including supporting the safe receipt of deliveries
– Storage optimisation using forward planning and control methods
– Order fulfilment from pick lists through to checking of picks
– Delivery co-ordination using pick lists and
– Health and Safety Leadership including food safety
– Inventory control including leading stock taking practices
– Quality assurance and reporting of damaged products
– Team communication including staff reviews, interviews, appraisals and development conversations
Our ideal candidate will have previous warehouse supervisory experience with a good knowledge of health and safety regulations including food safety. Proven computer skills and pick list practices, we well as the ability to move stock and deliveries with and without the use of trolleys. A forklift licence would be advantageous.
To supervise the daily work of the warehouse team to meet daily targets and company standards and legislation.
- Operational Oversight – Provide leadership in overseeing warehouse operations, with a focus on food safety and quality assurance. Ensure the smooth receipt, storage, and dispatch of food products and staff are competent to meet operational requirements.
- Team Leadership – lead, manage and support the team to fulfil their day to day tasks and develop to meet their full potential. Support, review and appraise team members including completing 121s, return to work meetings and performance reviews. Update the team on company communications and relevant business practices.
- Receiving Management – Supervise the efficient intake of food deliveries, implementing rigorous quality checks and collaborating closely with suppliers to uphold food safety standards.
- Storage Optimization – Manage the systematic storage of food items, adhering to established food safety guidelines. Implement rotation strategies to minimise waste and maintain the freshness and safety of inventory.
- Order Fulfilment – Supervise the accurate picking and packing of orders, emphasising adherence to food safety protocols. Use inventory management systems to maintain accurate records and uphold product quality during handling. Respond positively to ad-hoc amendment requests.
- Delivery Coordination – Collaborate with delivery teams to ensure secure and safe transportation of orders to catering units. Enforce stringent hygiene practices during loading and unloading.
- Health and Safety Leadership – Lead the enforcement and adherence to high health and safety standards in the warehouse. Conduct regular equipment inspections, report and act upon safety concerns promptly, and actively participate in ongoing food safety training and procedures.
- Inventory Control – Oversee routine food safety checks, assist in audits, and promptly address any deviations. Maintain an organised inventory system aligned with food safety principles.
- Quality Assurance – Supervise and enforce product quality at every stage, implementing measures to prevent cross-contamination, spoilage and wastage. Promptly address and report any food safety concerns, leading continuous improvement efforts.
- Team Communication – Foster effective communication among team members, suppliers, and delivery personnel regarding food safety practices and other company developments. Collaborate with other departments to ensure a comprehensive approach to food safety.
- Driving – Support the transport team with occasional deliveries to other depots and sites when required
Our Ideal candidate will have the following characteristics in line with our values
· Ability to work as part of a team
· A flexible approach to working hours
· Be supportive of colleagues
· Keen to learn on the job
· Hold Food Safety Level 2 (or be able to achieve on appointment)
· Be honest and trustworthy
· Able to work independently
· Have a can-do approach
· Hygienic approach and manner
· Committed to zero harm and sustainable practices
- Food safety 3 qualification (or able to achieve within 28 days of commencing)
- Health & safety 1 qualification (or able to achieve within 28 days of commencing)
- Forklift licence
- Full UK Driving Licence
South West Larder offers a generous benefits package which includes:
- Employee Assistance Programme
- 30 days holiday (including bank holidays)
- Christmas Shutdown
- Flexible shift options
- Ongoing Learning, Development & Training
- Access to Occupational Health
- Cycle Scheme
- Pension Scheme (5% matched)
- Comprehensive health and safety training