South West Larder: Togetherness, Nurture, Pride, Planet
Full Time: 39 Hours per week (1 day at college)
Salary: £10.69 per hour
Location: Central Production Kitchen (North Petherton)
Want to work for a company where Togetherness, Nurture, Pride and Planet are at the heart of everything they do? Then look no further, Somerset Larder produces fresh food and meals to go using locally sourced ingredients from all over the west country. Our philosophy is to nourish the community with amazing produce, to employ local people and to train apprentices for future careers in the catering and hospitality sector.
At Somerset Larder, our Values have been set by our staff. Our Values exist for the good of our working lives and company performance. Our Values are:
- Togetherness – “Be a tractor not a trailer.”
- Nurture – “You grow, I grow, we grow.”
- Pride – “We can and we will”
- Planet – “We’re part of a bigger picture”
The salary we offer for this role is £21,737 gross per year (£10.69 per hour). This is an apprenticeship position employed to work and study for Commis Chef Apprenticeship Standard at level 2.
The training lasts approximately 15 months and work time will be supported through on the job training and regular trainer/assessor meetings with the apprentice to support learning and assessment. The apprenticeship requires the achievement of level 2 in English and Maths as well as the Commis Chef apprenticeship.
- Support on site catering activities under the direction of the Chef Supervisor / Chef Manager / Unit Manager.
- Ensure all food service provision is carried out in accordance with all aspects of the Somerset Larder Food Safety & Quality Management System and any relevant legal requirements.
- Ensure all food is produced on time to the required quality standards.
- Prepare & serve food at additional functions as required by key customers.
- Ensure that all kitchen facilities and all equipment is cleaned in accordance with the prescribed method and to the correct schedule.
- Ensure catering provision is carried out cost effectively with product rejects and waste within agreed limits.
- Ensure all work is carried out in accordance with the relevant H&S legislation and Codes of Practice, together with any specific on-site requirements of key customers.
- Ensure all incoming raw materials and packaging when delivered is in accordance with the specifications and is stored in the correct areas of the site.
- Assist relevant managers of all planned maintenance required or carried out and any repairs following unplanned breakdowns.
- Ensure all quality records are completed accurately and on time.
- Ensure all traceability requirements are fully complied with.
- Carry out specific food service tasks as required.
- Carry out other tasks as requested by the Chef Supervisor / Chef Manager / Unit Manager.
- Complete Training as in line with the role.
- Complete training as in line with the role. Engaging activities in accordance with the apprenticeship, tasks books, site wide tasks, meetings with HPC Project Manager.
Following the apprenticeship, we would expect and hope that the apprentice continues with Somerset Larder.
Our ideal candidate will have the following characteristics in line with our values
- Ability to work as part of a team
- A flexible approach to working hours
- Be supportive of colleagues
- Keen to learn on the job
- Hold Food Safety Level 2 (or be able to achieve on appointment)
- Be honest and trustworthy
- Able to work independently
- Have a can-do approach
- Hygienic approach and manner
- Committed to zero harm and sustainable practices
- Good general education and numeracy skills.
- Good organizational skills.
- Good interpersonal skills including clear concise communication.
- Relevant catering experience.
- Cooking experience of fresh foods
- Experience of Food Safety Management/ HACCP systems operation
- Able to work under pressure, with fixed deadlines and sometimes changing information.
- Problem solving skills, ability to see the ‘end game’ and work around particular hurdles placed at short notice.
- Gain insight in to the NNB particular way of working, with understanding for the need of enhanced security and vetting procedures.
- Ordered, organised and able to work well within the different environments of each of the service and supply elements of the HPC Contract
- A sense of humour and a positive attitude, as at times work streams rapidly change and can be testing in terms of challenging understanding.
- Level 2 Food Hygiene Qualification (Desirable)
- Level 2 H & S Qualification (Desirable)
- Qualification Level 2 Maths & English (Desirable)
South West Larder offers a generous benefits package which includes:
- Employee Assistance Programme
- 30 days holiday (including bank holidays)
- Christmas Shutdown (Location specific)
- Flexible shift options
- Ongoing Learning, Development & Training
- Access to Occupational Health
- Cycle Scheme
- Pension Scheme (5% matched)
- Free Meal on Shift
- Extra Hour pay per day for using the HPC bus service
Successful applicants will be required to provide a three-year employment history and five-year address history in order to work on Hinkley Point C. They must be able to provide in date photographic ID and their right to work in the UK so that security clearance can be obtained as these roles are based on a nuclear regulated site.Back to Work With Us