South West Larder brings together produce from some of the region’s best farmers, artisan food makers, coffee roasters and bakers – creating a variety of catering and food to go options for Somerset and the south west. We provide full service, one stop catering using our Central Production Kitchen (CPK) and exclusive west country sourced products. A ‘from field to fork’ ethos working with more than 20 local food and drink producers ensures only the finest, locally sourced, products are used.
We are seeking a QA Manager who will have day to day responsibility for food safety & quality operations.
- Enhance and maintain a quality system that ensures food safety and that customer quality requirements are met continuously.
- To maintain an up to date HACCP plan and manage the HACCP team.
- To set up and maintain Quality Control procedures as determined by the HACCP plan.
- Maintain SALSA accreditation.
- To advise South West Larder Operational Managers and Board relating to decisions about Non-Conforming Goods.
- To have a good understanding of animal welfare systems and procedures to ensure these comply with the Somerset Larder Mission Statement & Quality Policy.
- To write and agree specifications of both Somerset Larder standard products and customer specific requirements.
- To write/agree raw material and packaging specifications.
- To approve all printed artwork and ensure labelling and products confirm to all current & future legal requirements
- To approve new suppliers.
- To manage and oversee internal audits.
- To carry out any external audits as required, including Environment Agency and DEFRA.
- To organise random swab testing of production areas within CPK
- To organise food sample testing to verify HACCP procedures and determine shelf life of RTE foods.
- Liaison with external laboratories.
- Liaison with Local Authority, Primary Authority & Food Standards Agency.
- Liaison with Organic or Certification bodies where appropriate.
- Participate in all external audits carried out at Somerset Larder operational sites.
- Liaison with customers on all technical matters and commercial activities where delegated by the Operational Director or Managing Director.
- Manage and investigate all customer complaints.
- Technical support to develop new products or packaging as and when required.
- Ensure food safety requirements are built into any changes to operational sites, equipment or processing methods.
- Create and maintain cleaning schedules to ensure the Central Production Kitchen and equipment is cleaned to the standards required.
- Identify those records that need to be produced, as detailed in the quality system and those necessary to allow smooth operation of the company’s activities.
- Arrange any specialist training of CPK team as and when required.
- To liaise with key customers About Food Safety Issues.
- To oversee the company’s computer systems with respect to FSQMS and Quality records
- To carry out projects and investigation when requested by the Operational Director.
Essential Attributes and Requirements
- RSPH Level Four award Managing food Safety & Hygiene or similar professional qualification (HND, HNC, BTEC or equivalent) in relevant Food Safety subject.
- RSPH Level Four award Managing the HACCP system or similar.
- Level Three award Allergen Management.
- Management skills gained in a similar environment.
- Sound working knowledge and experience in New Product Development process.
- Sound working knowledge and experience environmental and sustainability management.
- A working knowledge of leading operational compliance for Health & Safety Regulations related to catering business operations, including an up-to-date knowledge of the latest requirements.
- A current, sound knowledge and awareness of the key issues affecting the hospitality industry in its entirety, including those pertinent and particular to this role and its organisational environment.
- Sound written communication skills commensurate with the requirements the post.
- A thorough understanding of administration and financial responsibilities associated with hospitality/catering management, including stock and related cost control, and knowledge of budgetary responsibility to the requirements of the role.
- IT literate with a good understanding of industry –relevant software systems and processes
- Policy development skills and knowledge aligned to central organisational/business aims.
- Ability to interpret, understand, adapt and implement strategic information, on a similar scale to the requirements of the post.
- Liaison and networking skills in leadership, gained within a comparable role and work environment, with the ability to work effectively in partnership with others from within and outside the organisation.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Influencing skills, in relation to advising/guiding reporting staff and other colleagues, gained within a similar leadership role in a comparable working environment.
- Ability to manage and prioritise own workload in meeting requirements/deadlines on a similar scope and scale.
Desirable Attributes and Requirements
- Demonstrable knowledge and skills of leading customer service excellence, including sound customer liaison skills, on a similar scope and scale.
- Ability to conduct effective team and individual meetings and reviews.
- Evidence of readily accepting individual accountability and effective use of initiative in leadership as a norm.
- Performance Management knowledge and skills to the requirements of the post, gained within a similar leadership role in a comparable working environment.
- Trainer-training qualification or proven understanding of principles through experience.
- Staff recruitment, management and development knowledge/skills – to professional standards in line with legislation and ‘best practice’.
This is a full time role (39 hours per week) and the salary offered is £42,500.
How to apply
Please send your CV and a covering letter stating which position you are applying for to: firstname.lastname@example.orgBack to Work With Us