Somerset Larder: Togetherness, Nurture, Pride & Planet
Job Title: General Manager – Food & Beverage
Salary: £44,000 + discretionary bonus scheme
Location: Royal Lymington Yacht Club
Want to work for a company where Togetherness, Nurture, Pride and Planet are at the heart of everything they do? Then look no further, South West Larder produces fresh food and meals to go using locally sourced ingredients from all over the west country. Our philosophy is to nourish the community with amazing produce, to employ local people and to train apprentices for future careers in the catering and hospitality sector.
Our RLYC hospitality operation is comprised of bar, kitchen, and restaurant staff. Our Chef Managers and Front of House Managers ensure each aspect of our hospitality and catering service is consistently delivered to a high standard.
South West Larder offers a generous benefits package which includes:
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Free meal provided during shift
- Discretionary quarterly bonus
- Ongoing Learning, Development & Training
- Access to Occupational Health
- Cycle Scheme
- Pension Scheme (5% matched)
Overall Purpose of the Job:
Reporting to the Operations and Culinary Director, you will undertake the operational management and leadership of the restaurant, bars and food outlets. You will co-ordinate and support your Chef Manager and Supervisors in their own service planning and ensure they and all staff follow your example by modelling not only our values, but a first-class operational standard.
You will be a supportive and motivational leader, who brings the team together and nurtures their performance and development, communicating clearly in regular staff meetings on any operational service improvement initiatives or priorities.
With a keen eye for strategic development, you will also work closely with the Senior Management Team to contribute to the continuous improvement of our company-wide services and products. Part of this will also include networking and establishing positive and productive relationships with your key stakeholders across the business.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Liaise and network actively with South West Larder team, suppliers and professional associates, establishing positive & proactive relationships with key stakeholders to enable sharing initiatives and solutions in the continuous development/improvement of Somerset Larder operations and services, and for the attainment of financial aims and other strategic objectives (KPIS)
- Lead and coordinate services throughout the designated South West Larder restaurant, bars, hospitality and food outlets, ensuring that through supportive and motivational leadership staff & teams continuously attain the agreed hospitality and service operating standards
- Ensure that all hospitality services are carefully planned by the outlets Front of House /Head Chef, supervisors and staff, and are delivered to the customer’s requirements and agreed quality standards.
- Oversee the management of stock control and purchasing of goods for restaurant, bars and food outlets, liaising with the Operations Director ensuring ‘best value’ for purchased goods
- Undertake the leadership for Health and Safety for the restaurant, bars and food outlets, ensuring Health & Safety requirements are discussed and clarified with managers/supervisors and key personnel which must be implemented consistently incorporating up-to-date legal compliance and best practice in line with policy and procedure
- Undertake effective recruitment and development for South West Larder restaurant, bar and food outlets, liaising appropriately with management and HR colleagues for lawful, best practice
- Work & liaise effectively & supportively with all other colleagues & companies in the interests of contributing to a professional work environment
- Assist across the operational boundaries within South West Larder as and when agreed, in-keeping with the role and/or working development opportunities
- Assist with the development and undertake implementation of policies for catering service within the South W Larder restaurant, bars and food outlet, under the guidance of SMT, whilst liaising with other management colleagues as appropriate
Essential Attributes and Requirements:
- Level 3 Food Hygiene qualification
- Personal License Holder
- Hospitality service and management skills gained in a similar environment, providing restaurant services on a similar scope and scale
- A working knowledge of leading operational compliance for Health & Safety Regulations related to industrial hotel and catering business operations, including an up-to-date knowledge of the latest requirements
- Sound written communication skills commensurate with the requirements the post
- IT literate with a good understanding of industry –relevant software systems and processes
- Policy development skills and knowledge, aligned to central organisational/business aims
- Ability to interpret, understand, adapt and implement strategic information, on a similar scale to the requirements of the post
- Liaison and networking skills in leadership, gained within a comparable role and work environment, with the ability to work effectively in partnership with others from within and outside the organisation
- Ability to conduct effective team and individual meetings and reviews
- Performance Management knowledge and skills to the requirements of the post, gained within a similar leadership role in a comparable working environment
- Trainer-training qualification or proven understanding of principles through experience