South West Larder, a Somerset Business Award winner, is growing. We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Front of House Manager to join our team and to make a mark within the rapidly growing business.
39 hours per week on a variable shift pattern – £38,710 per year.
South West Larder offers a generous benefits package which includes:
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Free meal provided during shift
- Discretionary quarterly bonus
- Ongoing Learning, Development & Training
- Access to Occupational Health
- Cycle Scheme
- Pension Scheme (5% matched)
Overall Purpose of the Job
Undertaking operational management of a designated unit, supporting and guiding staff for the highest attainable standards in the provision of excellent facilities, product/brand quality and customer service, whilst managing the implementation of agreed strategic initiatives for developing operational effectiveness and the achievement of KPIs.
Key Responsibilities, Accountabilities and Duties
Contribute towards the overall success of the Somerset Larder catering operation, supporting Catering Operations Manager and liaising with other Somerset Larder Managers as appropriate, whilst monitoring opportunities for suggesting further improvement/development of operations & services
Liaise with HPC colleagues, and Somerset Larder associates, establishing positive & proactive relationships with key stakeholders to enable sharing initiatives and solutions in the continuous development/improvement of Somerset Larder operations and services, for the attainment of financial aims and other strategic objectives (KPI’s)
- Manage and lead the FOH team for the consistent attainment and delivery of agreed technical service and customer care standards, whilst exercising professionally supportive and motivational leadership at all times
- Ensure that all unit services are carefully planned and delivered to the customer’s requirements and agreed quality standards of Somerset Larder
- Take accountability for KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) relating to all unit outlets within the organisation’s strategic aims and business objectives
- Undertake the management of stock control and purchasing of goods for the units.
- Oversee the management of Health & Safety for the units operation , ensuring that requirements are discussed and clarified with staff, ensuring that they are implemented consistently, incorporating up-to-date legal compliance and best practice in line with policy and procedure, ensuring that daily and weekly team briefs are carried out effectively
- Support Somerset Larder in undertaking effective development of staff, alongside HR colleagues and in line with lawful, best practice
- Monitor service hospitality and customer care in line with Somerset Larder standards, ensuring that any issues are professionally addressed in a responsive and timely manner
- Ensure that strategic training and development plans are implemented in the business unit as appropriate and are thereafter consistently managed to the agreed standards
- Undertake responsibility to ensure the consistent, effective performance management of staff, addressing matters of employee conduct and performance via agreed ‘best practice standards’, in regular liaison with the Catering Operations Manager and undertaking additional guidance from HR colleagues as required
- Work & liaise effectively & supportively with all other HPC colleagues & departments in the interests of contributing to a professional work environment
- Assist across the operational boundaries within HPC functional areas, in-keeping with the role and/or working development opportunities
- Food safety monitoring using FSMS documents.
- Assist the Catering Operations Manager and SMT with implementation of policies for continually improved catering services.
- Participate alongside the Catering Operations Manager in undertaking presentations, demonstrations and instructional training and development continually, aimed at attaining and developing agreed quality standards through enhancing and maintaining staff skills
- Support a ‘continuous improvement’ ethos within the unit, raising awareness amongst the team of operating development and service initiatives and identifying opportunities for improving revenue and profits where possible
Ensure that all personal actions are in line with the overall environmental aims of Somerset Larder and HPC, undertaking all tasks in an environmentally sustainable manner – promoting environmental sustainability where opportunity presents.
Essential Attributes and Requirements
- Undertake an ILM Level 3 (Work towards). Hold Professional Certificates & Awards in relevant hospitality/business subject or professional qualification/s combined with demonstrable professional skills and knowledge gained through relevant industry experience
- Level 3 (formerly intermediate) Food Hygiene qualification (course provided)
- Catering Operations management skills gained in a similar environment, providing restaurant services on a similar scope and of reasonable scale
- A working knowledge of leading operational compliance for Health & Safety Regulations related to industrial catering business operations, including an up-to-date knowledge of the latest requirements
- A current, sound knowledge and awareness of the key issues affecting the hospitality industry in its entirety, including those pertinent and particular to this role and its organisational environment
- Sound written communication skills commensurate with the requirements the post
- A thorough understanding of administration and financial responsibilities associated with catering management,
- including stock and related cost control, and knowledge of budgetary responsibility to the requirements of the role
- IT literate with a good understanding of industry –relevant software systems and processes
- Policy development skills and knowledge, aligned to central organisational/business aims
- Liaison and networking skills in leadership, gained within a comparable role and work environment, with the ability to work effectively in partnership with others from within and outside the organisation
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Influencing skills, in relation to advising/guiding reporting staff and other colleagues, gained within a similar leadership role in a comparable working environment
- Demonstrable knowledge and skills of leading customer service excellence, including sound customer liaison skills, on a similar scope and scale
- Ability to conduct effective team and individual meetings and reviews
- Evidence of readily accepting individual accountability and effective use of initiative in leadership as a norm
- Ability to manage and prioritise own workload in meeting requirements/deadlines on a similar scope and scale
Desirable Attributes and Requirements
- Level 4 (formerly Advanced) Food Hygiene qualification
- Performance Management knowledge and skills to the requirements of the post, gained within a similar leadership role in a comparable working environment
- Trainer-training qualification or proven understanding of principles through experience
- Staff recruitment, management, and development knowledge/skills – to professional standards in line with legislation and ‘best practice’
- Performance Management knowledge and skills to the requirements of the post, gained within a similar role in a comparable working environment
Somerset Larder are proud to have supported our clients, remaining fully operational despite the recent challenges for the catering and hospitality sector, thus creating a stable and safe environment for our workforce.
Incorporating our Larder Values:
- Togetherness – “Be a tractor not a trailer.”
- Nurture – “You grow, I grow, we grow.”
- Pride – “We can and we will”
- Planet – “We’re part of a bigger picture”
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for this role or would like to find out more, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and send us a copy of your CV and a covering letter explaining any previous experience, why you are applying for the role, and what you feel you can bring to Somerset Larder.
Our Head Office is based in North Petherton, why not drop in for a chat about current opportunities between 8am-5:30pm Monday – Friday.
Successful applicants will be required to provide a three year employment history and five year address history, and must be able to evidence their right to work in the UK so that security clearance can be obtained as this role is associated with a nuclear regulated site.Back to Work With Us