South West Larder, a Somerset Business Award winner, is growing. We currently have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Chef to join our team on the night shift at Hinkley Point C.
From £14.00 per hour plus 25% uplift for night-shift working with additional weekend enhancements
Full time (39 hours per week)
Working five night shifts per week including some weekends.
This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic individual to join a growing business. Within this role you will aid the culinary lead, chef manager and chef supervisor in the daily running of the kitchen in accordance with the FSMS and the best interest of Somerset Larder.
The successful candidate will share our passion and commitment to provide exceptional local food and drink for the Hinkley Point C Project. Not only can you take advantage of some excellent benefits, you will also receive extensive training and learn new skills, working in a modern, safe and positive environment.
South West Larder offers a generous benefits package which includes:
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Free meal provided during shift
- Christmas shutdown
- Ongoing Learning, Development & Training
- Access to Occupational Health
- Cycle Scheme
- Pension Scheme (5% matched)
Somerset Larder are proud to have supported our clients, remaining fully operational despite the recent challenges for the catering and hospitality sector, thus creating a stable and safe environment for our workforce.
Do you have previous experience in a catering environment? Would you be able to undertake the range of duties required to support our operations? If this is you and you believe you could demonstrate the company values consistently and within the vision of “Nourishing the Community” while achieving the following, we would really like to hear from you.
Key Responsibilities, Accountabilities and Duties:
- To carry out all catering activities under the direction of the Head Chef/ Catering Operations Manager/Chef Supervisor.
- To ensure food service provision is carried out in accordance with all aspects of the Somerset Larder Food Safety & Quality Management System’s and any relevant legislation
- To ensure all food is produced on time to the required quality standards.
- To prepare and serve food at additional functions.
- To assist the Head Chef/Unit Manager in planning menu’s and food provision in the most efficient manner, taking into account any equipment, cross contamination or allergen constraints, to meet customer orders.
- To ensure catering service effectiveness, ensuring waste minimised, and write offs within agreed limits, in accordance of the cost plan.
- To be involved in the development and implementation of new products, packaging, methods and equipment, within the ethos of minimising waste and sustainability.
- To organise the ordering of all raw materials, packaging, consumables and cleaning chemicals as and when required.
- To organise and carry out all production staff training.
- To ensure all incoming raw materials and packaging when delivered is in accordance with specifications and is stored in the correct areas of the site.
- To carry out specific food service tasks as required.
- To oversee compliance with, but not limited to meals policy, portions sizes and marketing plans.
Health, Safety and Hygiene
- To ensure all kitchen facilities and all equipment are cleaned in accordance with the prescribed method and to the correct schedule.
- To ensure all work is carried out in accordance with relevant Health and Safety legislation and Codes of Practice, together with any specific on-site requirements of key customers.
- To ensure all traceability requirements are fully complied with.
- To embrace zero waste, environmental and sustainability in all areas of working life.
Communication and Record Keeping
- To advise relevant managers of all planned maintenance required or carried out and any repairs following unplanned breakdowns.
- To ensure all quality records are completed accurately and on time.
- To support a zero harm culture.
- To complete training as commensurate for the role.
- To carry out projects or other tasks as requested by the Head Chef/Catering Operations Manager/Chef Supervisor
- To embrace and adopt Client/project values and Somerset Larder’s Values of Togetherness, Nurture, Pride and Planet.
- To complete any other reasonable duties.
- Clear verbal and written communicator
- IT/digital abilities
- Able to work well in demanding situations and against time pressures
- Able to minimise wasteful practices
- Flexible approach to working hours/days
- Conscientious and supportive to colleagues
- Kind and respectful
- Adaptable, flexible to changes and new practices
- A can-do approach
- Honest and trustworthy
- Able to work independently
- Able to commit to a variety of shift patterns
- Committed to zero harm and sustainable practices
- City & Guilds 706/1 & 2, NVQ Level 2 or Commis Chef Level 2.
- Food Safety level 2 (or able to achieve on appointment)
- Health & Safety level 2 Qualification
- Basic COSHH
At Somerset Larder, our Values have been set by our staff. Our Values exist for the good of our working lives and company performance. Our Values are:
- Togetherness – “Be a tractor not a trailer.”
- Nurture – “You grow, I grow, we grow.”
- Pride – “We can and we will”
- Planet – “We’re part of a bigger picture”
The company recognises most people will demonstrate the company values consistently and within the vision of “Nourishing the Community”.
How to apply
Please send your CV stating which position you are applying for to: email@example.com
Successful applicants will be required to provide a three year employment history and five year address history, and must be able to evidence their right to work in the UK so that security clearance can be obtained as these roles are associated with a nuclear regulated site.Back to Work With Us