Job Title: Chef Apprentice
Location: Main Site – HPC
Salary: £19,663 + Weekend Enhancements
Somerset Larder is an award-winning company, using locally sourced food to supply catering services and food-to-go options across the southwest. This is an exciting time to join our business, as we are constantly growing and expanding our reach.
Due to our rapid growth, we have a fantastic opportunity for Catering Apprentices to join our Catering team on our Hinkley Point C contract, based at Hinkley Point C.
Hinkley Point C is a large-scale construction project, with thousands of employees clocking in and out every day and night. It’s also high security, meaning you’ll get an extra hour of pay each day when you take the private HPC bus to and from the site. Our Catering team work hard and take pride in what they do, creating thousands of meals a day using fresh produce prepared and delivered daily from our Central Production Kitchen in North Petherton.
The apprenticeship we offer for this role is £19,663 gross per year (£9.67 per hour), rising with experience. This is an apprenticeship position employed to work and study on either the Commis Chef or Production Chef apprenticeship at level 2.
The training lasts approximately 15 months and work time will be supported through on the job training and a trainer/assessor meeting with the apprentice to support learning and assessment. The apprenticeship requires the achievement of level 2 in English and Maths as well as the Chef apprenticeship.
Following the apprenticeship, we would expect and hope that the apprentice continues with Somerset Larder.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
1. Carry out all on site catering activities under the direction of the Chef Supervisor / Chef Manager / Unit Manager.
2. Ensure all food service provision is carried out in accordance with all aspects of the Somerset Larder Food Safety & Quality Management System and any relevant legal requirements.
3. To ensure all food is produced on time to the required quality standards.
4. To prepare & serve food at additional functions as required by key customers.
5. To ensure that all kitchen facilities and all equipment is cleaned in accordance with the prescribed method and to the correct schedule.
6. To ensure catering provision is carried out cost effectively with product rejects and waste within agreed limits.
7. To ensure all work is carried out in accordance with the relevant H&S legislation and Codes of Practice, together with any specific on-site requirements of key customers.
8. To ensure all incoming raw materials and packaging when delivered is in accordance with the specifications and is stored in the correct areas of the site.
9. To assist relevant managers of all planned maintenance required or carried out and any repairs following unplanned breakdowns.
10. To ensure all quality records are completed accurately and on time.
11. To ensure all traceability requirements are fully complied with.
12. Carry out specific food service tasks as required.
13. Carry out other tasks as requested by the Chef Supervisor / Chef Manager / Unit Manager.
14. Complete Training as in line with the role.
15. Complete training as in line with the role. Engaging activities in accordance with the apprenticeship, tasks books, site wide tasks, meetings with Rob Jordon.
- Togetherness – “Be a tractor not a trailer.”
- Nurture – “You grow, I grow, we grow.”
- Pride – “We can and we will”.
- Planet – “We’re part of a bigger picture”.
The company recognises most people will demonstrate the company values consistently and within the vision of “Nourishing the Community”.
South West Larder offers a generous benefits package which includes:
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Ongoing Learning, Development & Training
- Free meal during shift
- Additional hour paid per day for travelling to HPC site
- Access to Occupational Health
- Cycle Scheme
- Pension Scheme (5% matched)
How to apply
Our Head Office is based in North Petherton, why not drop in for a chat about current opportunities between 8:30am-4:30pm Monday – Friday.
Successful applicants will be required to provide a three year employment history and five year address history, and must be able to evidence their right to work in the UK so that security clearance can be obtained as this role is associated with a nuclear regulated site.Back to Work With Us